6 Strategies to Stop Fights Before They Begin
In this podcast (episode #478) and blog, I talk about ways to stop fights before they begin.
Relationships can be hard, whether you are talking about friends, romantic partners, family, or colleagues. Fights and arguments are often inevitable, but that does not mean that there are steps we can take to make our relationships stronger and prevent fights and arguments before they begin.
Below are several tips to help you learn how to practice this in your everyday relationships:
- Approach the conflicts with curiosity. Ask yourself, "What's behind this anger/frustration/bitterness?” Become an emotions detective: what are your thoughts, feelings and behaviors trying to tell you?
- Change the way you see conflict. View the conflict as "us against the problem”, not "me versus you.” Think about what the actual issue is and focus on resolving it.
- Practice the 10 second pause rule. Before saying anything, pause and breathe for 10 seconds. This will give your mind, brain and body time to calm down, and can help de-escalate a tense situation.
- Know when to ask for some space. Remember that it's okay to walk away to calm down and reset. You don't need to solve everything immediately, but don’t use this as a way to escape uncomfortable situations. Always think about the “why” behind what you choose to do.
- Watch what you say. Words are powerful, and they can easily kindle the fire of an argument till it is burning out of control. Try to watch how you respond to a situation, and use statements like “I understand”, "let me think about that”, or "you may be right" instead of accusations like “you always do this!”, “you never listen”, or “of course you are responding this way!”
- Make argument autopsies a habit. After an argument, it is always important to analyze why things ended up the way they did. You cannot fix or improve something if you do not know why it “broke” in the first place! Once you are calm, think about how you can learn from the situation and how you can improve your communication and relationship; don’t just “move on” or the same thing can happen again. Use this “autopsy” process as a preventative measure; it is a way to understand how to prevent this kind of argument in the future. It may be helpful to discuss with the other person what can be done in the future to prevent or manage a re-occurrence of the same argument, or to discuss the situation with someone you trust like a close friend or therapist.
For more on stopping fights before they begin, listen to my podcast (episode #478). If you enjoy listening to my podcast, please consider leaving a 5-star review and subscribing. And keep sharing episodes with friends and family and on social media. (Don’t forget to tag me so I can see your posts!).
You can now also join me on Patreon for exclusive, ad-free content! Sign up for a membership level that suits you, and receive access to ad-free exclusive bonus podcasts!
This podcast is sponsored by:
ButcherBox. Eating is about so much more than food: it is about spending time with those I love most. I want to make the most of every minute of every day, which means finding new ways to skip the crowds, the wait, and the expensive restaurant bill, while making more time for something I treasure: home-cooked meals with my friends and family. But good quality foods at affordable prices can be hard to find these days, which is why I love ButcherBox. They take the guesswork out of finding high-quality meat and seafood you can trust with 100% grass-fed beef, organic chicken, pork raised crate-free, and wild-caught seafood. All of their products are humanely raised with no antibiotics or added hormones. With ButcherBox, I get just what I want delivered right to my doorstep with FREE SHIPPING in the continental U.S. and no surprise fees! Plus, I get to choose from a variety of box plan options, from curated to customized, and change my plan whenever I want! And, for a limited time, ButcherBox is giving us a special deal! Sign up today using code DRLEAF to receive Ground Beef for a Year + 20 dollars off your first order. That’s 2 pounds of Ground Beef free in every box for a year plus 20 dollars off your first order when you sign up at butcherbox.com/DRLEAF and use code DRLEAF.
Qualia Mind. If you have been following my podcast for a while now, you know that I give a lot of advice for better mental and physical health. But my advice is only as good as your willpower to do something with it! So if you’re stuck on not having the willpower or mental energy to follow through on new goals and commitments you want in your life, then you need to try Qualia Mind! Our sponsor Neurohacker combines 28 of the most research-backed nootropic ingredients on Earth into the ultimate brain fuel formula: Qualia Mind. AND, it’s been changing people’s lives for years now. For help with my daily mental performance AND help supporting my long-term brain health, I think Qualia Mind is indispensable. It’s so cool to take a product where you don’t have to wonder if it’s working. Because I noticed the difference in JUST DAYS...to my focus, my mood, my memory and my willpower to GET. THINGS. DONE. See what the best brain fuel formula on earth can do for YOUR mindset. Go to neurohacker.com/DRLEAF for $100 OFF, that’s only $59 a bottle and as a listener of Cleaning Up the Mental Mess use code DRLEAF at checkout for an extra 15% off your first purchase.
0:32 Why it is important to try to prevent arguments before they begin
1:26, 5:30 How to approach conflicts with curiosity
7:47 How to change the way you see the conflict
9:05, 12:00, 15:00 How words can stop or start an argument
10:03 Why you should practice the 10 second pause before responding to conflict
11:00 Walking away is not always a bad thing!
This podcast and blog are for educational purposes only and are not intended as medical advice. We always encourage each person to make the decision that seems best for their situation with the guidance of a medical professional.