Being stuck at home doesn’t mean you don’t have to eat well. In fact, since many of us now have to live and work in the same space, eating well can give you the energy you need to navigate difficult living situations, while building up your immune system during the current health crisis.
1. One “snack” I cannot live without is coffee! I know there has been a lot of bad press over coffee, but more and more research is showing how coffee is actually good for us. Not only does it boost our energy levels (which is useful when trying to work from home), but it also helps boost mood, retain information, potentially protect the brain from degenerative diseases like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's and so much more! But it is important to make sure that you source sustainably-grown, fair trade coffee, and brew it fresh, with little or no sugar (preferably sweetened with natural sugars if you need sweetness, such as coconut sugar or maple syrup, or low-calories sugars like monkfruit or stevia) and organic, whole creams and milks. For more information on what kind of coffee we drink, see my book Think and Eat Yourself Smart.
And you don’t need a fancy coffee machine to enjoy good coffee. One of my favorite superfood companies, Four Sigmatic, has easy-to-use superfood coffee packets that not only help support a healthy immune system but also better concentration and focus, which, if your house is anything like mine, can be difficult when you are trying to work from home! All you have to do is add hot water and enjoy! To get a 15% discount on your Four Sigmatic order see: foursigmatic/drleaf or use coupon code DRLEAF at checkout.
You can also upgrade your coffee into a meal by blending in a little coconut oil, butter, ghee or (my personal favorite) one of SuperFat’s delicious nut butters. These are of course delicious on their own (keeping you full and satisfied for hours!), but blending a spoon or so of one of their many flavors into coffee will boost your morning routine, giving you the energy you need to complete your tasks and stay sane in the process. To get 15% off your Superfat Nut Butters order see: https://www.superfat.com or use code DRLEAF at checkout.
2. Another snack/meal I love is bone broth. A healthy gut is key to optimal mental and physical health, and one of the best ways to boost your gut health is through bone broth. My favorite brand is Kettle & Fire because they come in a variety of yummy flavors, are shelf-stable and are super delicious on their own or in a soup. My personal favorite flavors are the ginger turmeric broth and the Keto spicy cauliflower soup! And all Kettle and Fire bone broths are certified gluten-free, Whole30 approved, keto-friendly, made with the best ingredients, and packed with collagen and so many other amazing nutrients to boost your immune system and keep you healthy, mentally and physically! To get 15% off your Kettle & Fire bone broth order use the code DRLEAF at checkout.
One of my favorite bone broth recipes is Masala curry soup:
Sauté 1/2 diced yellow onion in olive oil and 1 minced clove of garlic over medium heat. Add 4 cups broth (vegetable or bone broth) to pot with 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk, 1 tablespoon curry powder, 1/2 tablespoon garam masala, 2 teaspoons cumin, 2 teaspoons of ground coriander and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well, adding in juice of 1/2 lemon, 1 large chopped sweet potato, 1 large chopped yellow squash, 1 cup chopped snap peas and 1 1/2 heaped tablespoons of tomato paste. You can use beans or dried/frozen vegetables if you don't have fresh on hand. Bring to boil, then cook over low heat for 20 minutes. Serve as is or blended with fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lemon juice.
3. Staying hydrated and healthy is especially important during a major health crisis, so make sure you drink lots of water throughout the day! Of course, water can come in many different forms: tea, juice, sparkling water, fruits and so on, so think of delicious and interesting ways to stay hydrated. I personally love drinking lots of tea, which is why I am a big fan of Pique Tea’s wide range of delicious, organic and toxin-free teas. Tea is the ultimate superfood, hands down. It’s been revered for centuries by cultures around the world for its plethora of health benefits, including its positive effect on our gut health and immunity, our mental state, our metabolism and so on. To get up to 10% off your Pique Tea order and free shipping see piquetea.com/drleaf.
I also drink lots of water with electrolytes. I love LMNT electrolytes, which taste great and have so many great health benefits, including regulating fluid balance, helping produce energy, and strengthening the bones. To get the best electrolytes for optimal mental and brain health from Elemental Labs see drinklmnt/drleaf. I also love Liquid I.V.’s delicious hydration multiplier packets, which you just add to water and enjoy (get 25% off with code DRLEAF at checkout).
If you want to upgrade your smoothies/juices/water or whatever you are drinking, I also recommend mixing in Organifi’s yummy superfood packets, which can help detox the body, boost the immune system and help you focus as you work from home. Get 15% off your order of Organifi Pure today with code DRLEAF. Just visit organifi.com/drleaf and use code DRLEAF at checkout.
4. Low-sugar foods are great when you need energy but don’t want the sugar blues that come after eating too many sweet things. I personally love:
- Grass-fed biltong (dried meat) I get from my local health-food stores or Amazon.
- Julian Bakery keto-friendly granola and protein bars. I personally love the espresso vanilla granola and the sweet cream protein bars.
- Cheese crisps from health food stores and Amazon.
- Smart Sweets. My personal favorite sweets are the peach rings!
- Sprouted, organic nuts from health food stores.
- Seasonal fruits and vegetables (such as grapefruit, lemons, berries, apples, celery, cucumber, cauliflower, spinach and so on, all of which can be frozen to make them last longer!). Remember, citrus fruits last quite a while and are great for the immune system, so stock up!
- Sustainably-raised fish, eggs, poultry and meat. I get these from Butcher Box, which has a fantastic range of sustainable, grass-fed, pasture-raised, organic meats, seafood and so much more, and can be delivered straight to your door (which is especially helpful when going to the grocery store can quickly become a nightmare!). Get 2 free pounds of salmon and 2 free filet mignons plus $20 off your first Butcher Box order when you sign up at butcherbox/drleaf or enter promo code CLEANUP at checkout.
- MagicSpoon’s natural and delicious low-sugar cereal. You can get a Magic Spoon variety cereal pack at magicspoon/drleaf, using the code DRLEAF at checkout for free shipping!
5. The secret ingredient I cannot live without: eating with people! Yes, I know we are all practicing social distancing at the moment, but, thankfully, with the advent of technology, we can still connect with each other, whether that means have a team lunch with your colleagues via Skype or Zoom or facetiming your family and friends for coffee and chocolate. Numerous studies show that eating together does wonders for our mental and physical health, which we all need right now, so don’t let distance stop you from enjoying each other’s company!
It's no doubt that for many this is a stressful time. But think of this period of uncertainty as a great time to work on building your mind and focus on yourself. I have spent my career developing resources to help you manage anxiety, stress, and worry during a crisis, and there is no better time to put these teachings into practice than right now. During this time of isolation, pick up one of my books, DVDs, or workbooks and learn something new, your mind will thank you! For a limited time, all individual Books, DVDs and Workbooks are 25% off with code DRLEAF25 at checkout.
And, despite the necessity of social distancing, we believe we can still come together as a community and be supportive, loving, and caring through technology, which is why we have also created a Facebook group. This is a group for everyone-a place to post prayer requests, questions, concerns, updates, encouragement, needs and so on. We are in this together!